Pastors Mark Dicken & Tara Keehn
2637 McCool Road, Portage, IN 46368
Issue V May 2018
WORSHIP THEMES FOR MAY
May 6 Celebration of the Lord’s Supper
THAT’S WHAT LOVE LOOKS LIKE Pastor Mark
May 13 Mother’s Day Pastor Mark
WHAT DID YOUR MOTHER SAY?
May 20 Pentecost
WHEN THE WIND BLOWS Pastor Mark
May 27 Memorial Day weekend Pastor Tara
WHY AM I AFRAID?
PENTECOST IS COMING SOON. DO YOU WANT TO MAKE IT EVEN MORE SPECIAL?
Just as Easter came pretty early in the calendar year, so will Pentecost. At Pentecost, we remember and celebrate God filling the Apostles with the Holy Spirit. It is often referred to as the “birthday” of the church.
Pentecost is an ideal time for persons to be baptized and join the church. If you would like to be baptized or join the church on Pentecost 2018, May 20, please let Pastor Mark or Pastor Tara know.
This Month We Are Collecting Pasta & Pasta Sauce For The Food Pantry. Please place your donations in the grocery cart in the fellowship hall.
Happy May Birthday to…
01 Don Morgenroth 15 Ryan Kegley 24 Richard Pinarski
02 Chuck Fowler 16 Sally Nohr 24 Annette Wray
04 Jaden Colby 17 Bev Fitzgerald 24 Ethan Davenport
06 Bruce Wilson 19 Andrew Karsten 27 Grant Monahan
06 Jim Crisman 20 Messiah Pinarski 28 Scott Holtzman
07 Rob Blakely 21 Heather Burns 28 Zac Ryan
08 Riley Miller 22 Margi Hamstrom 30 Andrew English
13 Linda Mills 22 Chris Adkins 31 Donna Lenburg
15 Jim Helmecy 23 Jennifer Long 28 Scott Holtzman
15 Steve Massow 24 Juliet Medina
Happy May Anniversary to…
05 Rich & Patti Coates 23 Glenn & Martha Yerby
10 Joe & Sally Reynolds 26 Bennie & Vicky Wright
Have you checked out the church web site??
The address is: http://www.portageumc.org
† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †
Sundays @ 10:00am Sunday School
Wednesdays @ 11:30am Brown Bag Bible Study
Thursdays @ 6:15am Breakfast at Schoops
UNITED METHODIST WOMEN
Friday, May 4th @ 9:30 am
ALL women of ALL ages are invited to join us for fellowship, breakfast snacks and our speaker,
Brandon, from the Portage Resale Shop.
Child care will be provided, if needed. Please call the church office (762-3846) by Wednesday, May 2nd.
MAY we see you there?
1st Friday Fellowship will meet on Friday, May 4th, at 5:00 p.m. at:
Miller Beach Café 903 N. Shelby Street Gary (Miller), IN
R.S.V.P. to Sandra Robinson at 764-8433 no later than May 4th.
PLEASE SAVE THE DATE!!!
Sunday, June 10th, we will celebrate the ministry of Pastor Mark and wish he and Barbara well as they begin their retirement. Plans are still being finalized, but we will gather for lunch immediately following the 11:15 worship services with a brief program to follow. Watch your Sunday bulletins for more information.
National Day of Prayer Thursday May 3rd
We will be celebrating the National Day of Prayer with a 24 hour prayer vigil! Don't worry, you don't have to pray for 24 hours straight! There will be a sign-up sheet on the Connection Center, with the goal of having at least one member praying at all times. Prayer guides will also be provided to help lead you in your prayer time!
Saturday, May 5th 10 AM- 1 PM
Congregational Care Ministry Day #2!
If you are a CCM, please join us for this second day of instruction! CCM's will be presented in front of the congregation for re-commissioning on the 6th.
Friday, May 25th 1:30 PM- 6:30 PM
American Red Cross Blood Drive at Portage First UMC! Come help save up to 3 lives with your donation! Call 1-800-Red-Cross or go to redcrossblood.org , sponsor code "fumcport" to schedule your blood donation appointment!
Sign-up sheet will be available at the Connection Center for a short-sleeve T-shirt in either charcoal or blue. Shirts will have the PFUMC logo on the chest pocket area, with "Together We. Are. More" on the back. Cost will be $20. If you plan on marching in the 4th of July parade, a blue shirt may be great to wear parade day! See Pastor Tara for more information or to make your payment.
Tech With Tara
Starting in May, I will be having a 4 session series called "Tech With Tara" during Christian Education time 10:15AM-11AM. May 6th will be on using Remind, our church announcement Text system. Bring your phone and I will help you sign up if you haven't signed up for our text updates! May 13th (Mother's Day) will be on the difference between our Facebook Group and Facebook Page, and what to use each one for. This is particularly useful if you are on a committee or want to schedule events for the church, but it is useful for all members! May 20th will be on getting subscribed to the church calendar feed. If you have a calendar on your phone, did you know you can get the church activities to automatically load onto your calendar? Come on the 20th and I will show you how to subscribe to the feed! May 27th will be on using Pushpay to make donations. If you've ever forgot your checkbook or wished you could pay for a Coffee Bar gift certificate electronically, this is a day you will want to be there! It is really simple to use Pushpay. Let me help you get acquainted with it!
Usher Training will be available after 2nd service with Martha Yerby! Meet in the back of the church by the sound system after 2nd service to learn how to assist as an usher!
Rev up your engines once again!
Plans are being made for this year's car show, mark your calendars now for Saturday August 11th. You can help us on this day again and make another successful Car Show event this year, by signing up at the connection center. The proceeds for this event will go to RFKC (Royal Family Kids Camp.) For more information contact Steve Massow at 742-0926
CHURCH SAFETY & SECURITY TASK FORCE
ISSUE: While the church has never been immune from danger and the troubles of culture, recent events make it clear that our church should banish the idea that “it can’t happen here” and take steps to protect the safety of children, youth and adults, worshipers and staff.
Accordingly, our church leadership authorized the formation of a task force to examine our safety and security in our building. Some attended workshops in the area regarding these issues. Task force members include Pastor Mark, Pastor Tara, Kate Blakely, Dan McCoy, Paul Keaton, Randy Wilkening, Glenn Yerby, and Cara Reeder.
This is a preliminary report. No final decision has been made. This information is provided to invite your consideration, discussion and feedback.
1. Continue vigorous adherence and enforcement of Safe Sanctuaries/Child Protection Policy
2. Limit unrestrained access to the church building on Sunday mornings and during the work day by:
• No longer programming the east door off Fellowship Hall to unlock on Sunday morning.
• Recruiting two persons to observe and welcome persons coming to the north and south doors into the narthex and observe any activity in Fellowship Hall and the Education wing during the worship services and Christian education time. These persons should be equipped with simple 2-way radios (already donated) in order to communicate with each other.
• Programming the south (main) door off the principal parking area so that it is locked when there are no other groups or activities scheduled during weekdays. Installing a simple (wireless?) doorbell/buzzer and intercom with a sign at that door advising persons seeking entry to alert the Administrative Assistant who would then be able to observe who seeks entry on the monitor in her office and then decide whether to release the lock from her desk.
3. Additional precautions:
• Add evacuation route signs in each classroom and have evacuation drills periodically.
• Purchase 2 additional fire extinguishers ($100 each), reposition some of the existing ones in order to make them more visible and install larger, more visible wall signs marking the location of the extinguishers (7 @ $3 each).
• Purchase 2 additional wall-mounted first aid kits and install them in visible locations with appropriate signage. Approximate cost $90 each.
• Purchase and program a weather alert radio at the Connection/Welcome Center.
• Periodically train greeters, ushers, safety team members and others on what to do in the event of an emergency while waiting for the ambulance or police to arrive. (27 persons attended one of the two sessions offered in March by Captain Randy Wilkening of the Portage Fire Department.)
• Consistently advise and encourage parents and grandparents to not allow children under 12 years of age to leave the sanctuary without adult supervision.